Friday, November 25, 2011

Across the other pond

Hmmm...seems to have been a while since I last posted.  So I got back from Hawaii in mid-October, worked really really hard for two weeks to get ready for the upcoming holiday season (more on that later, because I have some important business announcements to make in re: the holidays and how to shop for them), and then flew off across the other ocean to England, where I met up with my brother and had a really fantabulous time for two weeks in a preemptive birthday celebration.

He was checking out pubs, and I was generally exploring and having fun.  For the bulk of the time we stayed with our friends Dave and Ann from Hardknott Brewery, who were very generous with their time and resources as we romped around Cumbria (aka the Lake District) and Newcastle and Kendal and Manchester and...and...  Rather than go into detail verbally, I'm going to give you another photo essay of the things that caught my eye.

Spent a few days in Oxford visiting Erin and Sydney and their adorable kids.
Also took a side trip to Scotland to visit Beth and her family,
and got to explore Bothwell Castle.
Had tea and crumpets, in a wild departure from
my usual gluten and dairy free existence.

Walked by some beautiful trees near Broughton-in-Furness, in Cumbria

Walked miles and miles to find Sunkenkirk stone circle, in a farmer's field in Cumbria. 
This was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Really, really old stone walls!  Plus, it wouldn't be right if I didn't include
a photo with some sheep in it since we're talking about northern England here.

The view from Netherwasdale up the Wasdale valley, in Cumbria. Possibly
one of the most beautiful places on earth, both in the big picture and the details.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

holy cats, I am soooooooooo jealous! GORGEOUS!