Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Au Sable again

OK ok, this is just a funny photo, working in the kitchen is actually very fun.  Not to mention sanitary, well-lit, and non-violent.  

I spent much of the morning today working on another letter to the Au Sable board of directors.  They are meeting this weekend, and will be again discussing the future of this place.  In a nutshell, they are in dire financial straights, and almost decided to shut down, since the endowment has been decimated without anyone really knowing it.  There's been a fierce reaction from former students and staff and academic partners, saying how Au Sable can't close.  New plans are in place, and some fundraising efforts, all of which have managed to keep it limping along.  Obviously, since I drive 10-13 hours each way and spent my vacation time here not being paid to work in a kitchen every year, I care about this place and love being here.  There are trees here who I consider to be friends.  If I were rich, I'd give them more money, but I'm not so instead I make dinner.  If you'd like to read more, or wish to learn about donating, please check here.  

I've been having lots of deep thoughts lately about paradigm shifts.  But I need to go work the dinner shift, so that will have to wait until next time.  ha ha ha!  That's a cliffhanger if I ever heard one!

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

man, places like that have GOT to survive