Thursday, August 6, 2009

All the diamonds


All the diamonds in this world
that mean anything to me
are conjured up by wind and sunlight
sparkling on the sea

I ran aground in a harbor town
lost the taste for being free
thank God He sent some gull-chased ship 
to carry me to sea

Two thousand years and half a world away
dying trees still grow greener when you pray

Silver scales flash bright and fade
in reeds along the shore
Like a pearl in a sea of liquid jade
his ship comes shining
Like a crystal swan in a sky of suns
his ship comes shining

-Bruce Cockburn

2 comments:

Brewers Union Local 180 said...

My fingers still remember how to play that song.

I'm hoping to get out of there for a few days of contemplating it next week.

Brewers Union Local 180 said...

Oh, and have fun with the little naredowells. I haven't heard if they've arrived yet.