Monday, March 30, 2009

Starwheel

My etching press is here!  I'm in love, it's beautiful.  *sigh*  All that is lacking now are some C-clamps in the correct size to anchor it to the table, and then I can start pulling prints in my own basement.  In fact, I can pull prints at 2 AM in my pajamas if I want.  

I recently learned that the big spoked wheel that turns the press rollers is called the starwheel.  I think that sounds very romantic and lovely.

I am a big fan of complicated processes for making art.  Old-school arcane processes are the best.  Whether it's the steps involved in an etching, planning the colors in a batik, reduction linoleum block prints, making a fine botanical plate, I enjoy sorting it out.  Ironically, I also like to make acrylic paintings that take under 2 hours.  

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I did etching in college, and I too love the process and craft of printing.
You lucky ducky!